Saturday, June 25, 2011

Interview with Tiffany: Music Career and "Rose Tattoo" Album Read more at Suite101: Interview with Tiffany: Music Career and "Rose Tattoo" Album | Suite101.com http://www.suite101.com/content/interview-with-tiffany-music-career-and--rose-tattoo-album-a376688#ixzz1QIm1UDnr

On Thursday, June 23, 2011, I was afforded the privileged opportunity to speak with former teen queen Tiffany. Throughout her career, Tiffany had two multi-week #1 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, “ I Think We're Alone Now” and “Could've Been,” and sold over 15 million albums.


In this phone interview, Tiffany opens up about her 25-year career in music, and discusses her latest country record “Rose Tattoo”; furthermore, she reveals some of her future plans and gives advice for hopefuls.

Musical Influences
Tiffany notes that her greatest musical influences include “ Stevie Nicks, Emmylou Harris, Bono [from U2], and Robert Plant.”

New Album and Single
Regarding her latest release, “Rose Tattoo,” Tiffany remarks “I love this album. It has been ten years in the making. It’s something that I wanted to do for a long time. It’s better than I even expected. I wasn’t going to release a country record unless it was something that I really loved. Now the fans definitely understand that I came from country. My fans are awesome!”

Tiffany continues, “A lot of the songs on the album were my thoughts, with the exception of ‘Love Me Good,’ which was written for me by my good buddy Tommy Wright, whom I’ve known for about seventeen years. I love that song so much, and I wanted it on the album. It was done in such a creative way and it paints a picture.”

Tiffany further adds that the tune “Just That Girl” is “totally about me. It started my life. I learned how to laugh about things that used to frustrate me.”

On her newest single “Feel The Music,” Tiffany states: “it’s so much fun! I wanted a song that people can put on before they go out, or blast in their car, or listen to while working out on the treadmill.”

Tiffany’s power-ballad “He Won’t Miss Me” was written about her personal breakup. “The song came from true life experiences. I believe in love, and at times I held on, but I realized that I was the only one holding on,” the former teen idol adds.

Tiffany Talks About her Career
“My fans are wonderful, the songs are great, and I am really excited. I am going out on the road and performing, which I enjoy doing. I love having the moments with the crowds. I love it when it’s real. I really do rely on the fans to come to the show and have a good time. I’ve learned a lot from the business side of things, but after twenty-five years, I am still learning, since this industry is always changing,” acknowledges Tiffany.

The hardest aspect of Tiffany’s job is “just keeping it going.” “I am a workaholic. I love what I am doing. Right now, I am not getting enough hours of sleep at night, and still being able to conquer everything I want to do in the day,” she admits.

On balancing a full-time career in music with motherhood, Tiffany remarks “I make choices! Usually, I try to get home at night and make dinner, even if I have to go back out. I love family time at the table. I would always cook dinner, and I clean my own house.”

Studio vs. Performing Live
Tiffany notes a substantial difference between singing live and recording in the studio. “I loved ‘Rose Tattoo,’ and I loved the first album, because it was all new to me. I’ve enjoyed recording the other albums as well, but there is no response. I am definitely a live performer, and for me, there is nothing better than having the direct feedback from the crowd.”

She continues “being in the studio, you are creating a song that nobody’s heard before, and you sing it a couple of times. When you’re on stage, you’re hoping that they’ve heard it, and they are coming prepared to sing along. As an artist, I like to change the song a little bit, since I want to take it to the next level.”

Pre-show Rituals
On her pre-show rituals, Tiffany reveals “I do a few warm-ups, and it’s always better when I run on the treadmill. If I do a few exercises before, it opens up my lungs before a show. I always pray before I go on stage, and I always thank my band for what we’re about to do.”

Dream Duets
On her dream collaboration choices in country, Tiffany states: “I would love to do something with Garth Brooks. I love his energy on stage, it’s just amazing! Obviously, I would love to sing with Emmylou Harris, who is wonderful. I love Keith Urban, especially some of his ballads; he’s definitely an amazing talent.”

Tiffany further adds that “somebody said that I sing a lot like Martina McBride. She’s a little spitfire. I love her energy. I would love to do something with her. A lot of the songs that she’s chosen to record over the years are just great! ‘Independence Day’ is one of my favorite songs.”

Future Plans
“I’m out on tour with my own band, doing my shows in small clubs. Then the opportunity came along to collaborate with Debbie Gibson. I would never abandon the hits. I am so thankful that I’ve had a career. It makes sense to reminisce about the 80s, and have a good time. Debbie and I have become really good friends. She’s a lot of fun. I want to get the new music into people’s hands. Once they see me perform it, I think they will be pleasantly surprised with this album,” reveals Tiffany.

Alternate Careers
On alternate career choices, Tiffany notes that she’d like to pursue holistic medicine. “I believe in acupuncture, Chinese medicine, herbs, and eating healthy. There are a lot of things that we can take responsibility with our own health, and a lot of ailments can be made to subside with herbs and vitamins,” she says.

Advice for Hopefuls
For hopefuls who wish to go into the music industry, Tiffany advises them to “be prepared for any and all opportunities. Before the 'Mall Tour,' I started off singing in front of grocery store markets. I sang everywhere. You never know who’s going to be out there. The more that you sing, the more you learn how to work an audience, and you learn how to control your voice after stress. All of these things are going to give you the longevity that you need in your career. If you become successful, there are a lot of late night hours and a lot of talking. The more you know how to take care of yourself and know how to own your crowd, and work around the little roadblocks that are thrown at you, you will know and you won’t be so scared when you are put in that situation.”

“It took me a long time to be comfortable to talk on stage, and obviously now you can’t shut me up,” admits Tiffany.

Tiffany Addresses Fans
For her loyal fans, Tiffany concludes “come out to a live show! Hopefully, you’ll love the album, and hopefully you’ll enjoy the show. That’s where I get a kick out of meeting everybody, and having that bond with people, and getting their responses. Call your local country stations and request ‘Feel the Music,’ and hopefully you’ll like the new single.”

Tiffany Defines Success
For Tiffany, success means “enjoying what you are doing. If you can look back at the end of the night, and be happy and okay with things, and get up the next day and start all over again. Having people in your life that love you no matter what, and also loving people in return; having that constant foundation of reality, which for me is family and friends.”

Many thanks to Tiffany for granting this interview!

For the latest information on Tiffany, her new album, and upcoming tour dates, please visit her official website and on Facebook.

Source
Telephone Communication. Tiffany. June 23, 2011.

http://www.suite101.com/content/interview-with-tiffany-music-career-and--rose-tattoo-album-a376688

No comments: